Doctors warn about sparkler dangers | Health
(WMC-TV) – Fireworks are banned in Cordova, but sparklers, which are legal, can be just as dangerous as their much louder and much larger cousins, according to doctors.
“Parents often do not realize that children can suffer serious injuries from sparklers,” said Dr. William Hickerson, medical director at the Med’s Firefighters Regional Burn Center. “Sparklers can exceed 1,000 degrees, which is hot enough to melt some metals, and the sparkler wire remains hot long after the flame has extinguished.”
But there are some simple ways to stay safe this July 4:
- Always have an adult supervise firework activities, and never allow children under 12 to play with or ignite fireworks.
- Use common sense. Alcohol and fireworks do not mix.
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or mishap. Never try to relight or handle a malfunctioning firework. Douse and soak with water, and then dispose of it properly.
- Never give a lighted sparkler to another person. Also, never throw, wave or run with sparklers.
“The good news is that these injuries are 100 percent preventable,” said Hickerson.
Copyright 2012 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.